CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Planning a Menu

I am not the greatest cook in the world. While I can follow a recipe - it doesn't mean that I have any creativity or flair in the kitchen- or any desire to be in the kitchen either.

Part of what got me to this weight in the first place was poor planning. I would work all day, get home around 5:30 and think "gee, I wonder what I should make for dinner?" This was bad for a few reasons.
1. I was already SUPER hungry and all the food that required more than a microwave took too long to cook.
2. I was already SUPER tired- and just wanted to sit and relax after a long day.
3. I get REALLY grumpy and confused when I am hungry and tired. (When we were dating, my husband almost left me in Salt Lake City because of my temper tantrums stemming from hunger... but that's a story for another time) When I get grumpy and confused I cannot decide what to cook or even what to eat when I have the options right in front of me.

So- A weekly menu usually cures this quandary. It also helps keep those unwanted fast food calories from sneaking into your week. This is what I am attempting to do right now- The problem I am having is coming up with healthy alternatives to our normal menu. Hot dogs and Mac&Cheese does not a skinny Kelly make. (Yes- it's better than fast food, but only a little...) Anyway, if you google "printable menu plans" or "free weekly menu"- you can find some cute ideas on how to make your own menu planner.

Does anyone have any really SIMPLE yummy dinner ideas for me?

5 comments:

Anonymous

You know what they call it when your so hungry your angry? Hangry :)

Stephanie

You can always make your own frozen dinners so that when you're tired, lazy or lacking motivation to cook, all you have to do is pull something out of the freezer and voila a proper meal

Me

On the weekend you can always make a bunch of chicken or something, and just have that throughout the week with some frozen veggies, ect.

Becca

Crock pot dinners are the best because (as long as you remember to start them in the morning) you have dinner when you get home! The thing that increases my starting them is if they don't have my ingredients.

Salsa Chicken
Chicken (I use frozen chicken breasts, still frozen)
Salsa (just a jar)

Put them in the crock pot on low all day. I usually add a can of rinsed black beans and a can of drained corn and serve it in tortillas.

Also, even if you don't know where you're going with it throw some chicken and a seasoning packet in there and toss it with some pasta and veggies when you get home or something.

And the best one, for my family, is pizzas on tortillas. Oven at 450 and spray the tortillas with cooking spray. Add a little pizza sauce (or pasta sauce), cheese and whatever you want and bake for 6 minutes. Easy and fast.

Kelly Moore

Becca- that sounds SO good! I am going to have to try it! Thanks everyone for the good ideas!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!